Sunday, May 2, 2010

Why Mom Needs a Night Out

So, like a lot of moms, I don't take a lot of opportunities to have a girls' night out. (And no, going to Noodles & Co. with my 2 & 3 year old daughters for dinner is not the kind of "girls' night" I'm referring to.)

So yesterday, I was happily getting ready for an evening out.  I'd already teed up my plans with A & C, letting them know that I'd be leaving after suppertime but home when they woke up in the morning.  There were the usual, half-protests (although I know that they equally enjoy R handling bedtime as well).  While R worked on supper, I was enjoying the quiet and solitude of a nice, hot shower.  Bathroom door closed, room warm and steamy, mental state relaxed.

Enter C, in her 2 1/2 year-old exuberance.
"Mommy!?!"

::sigh:: "Yes?"

"I want to sit in your LAP!!"

::sigh:: "Okay.  Can we take care of that in a few minutes?"

"Okay!"
Exit C.  Bathroom door open, steam and warmth departed, mental state re-mommified.


I love you, my energetic, loving, busy, amazing girls.  And after a fun night of laughter and fun with some great gals last night, I'm "reset" and ready to see how you make me laugh this week ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I was TOTALLY wondering if you were going to talk about our night. :) Love this story, too. A little time away does wonders for the soul, doesn't it? Great spending time with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did laugh out loud at the Noodles & Co. comment. Very funny.

    But yes, amazing how stepping away for a bit gives you new appreciation for what you stepped away from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for night's out and a reset and then coming home to sweet children!

    ReplyDelete